3.13.2010

"Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary...."

"How does your garden grow?"
Oh, if I had a quarter for every time I heard that growing up....I'd be rich! Well, now I finally have an answer. "It grows very well, thank you!"

Look closely here, see anything that doesn't belong on my nice, fresh lettuce?

AHH!! We had been wondering what had been eating the lettuce. I guess he was just curing his stomach ache!

We planted romaine lettuce and some carrots just as an experiment. (We didn't think we could get anything to grow!) We were definitely pleasantly surprised. These were actually decent sized carrots.

We have been enjoying the lettuce for a while now and decided to harvest it all when we were assigned to bring lettuce for a family dinner. It felt great to go out and pick it, clean it, chop it up, and enjoy it with everybody. There was even more than the pictures show!

Am I just immature, or do these rejects make you laugh too?! :)

We will be planting more "experiments" real soon!

8 comments:

  1. I like your "stumpy" carrots. I think they are kind of cute.

    Yucky bug. Better than a scorpion though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is inspiring to me! And I can say from experience that your carrots and lettuce taste great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love trying to grow things but am horrible at it. I've been trying to think of things I could grow in a planter box by our window--space is limited in nyc so I don't have a lot of options. any tips?? That is so cool that you have an actual garden!! good work mary mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. Did I mention that Max is adorable?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you and your garden! I am so impressed! Even with the worm, you still got a good amount of veggies there. One of these days I'll start my own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow guys - I am happy for you. Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spectacular! Looks like you got Dad's green thumb (and my green bug!). Very rewarding...proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had some advice for the party...it was so stressful! Haha! No, it was fun, too. Just a ton of work. I honestly copied most of what I did from party ideas on the internet. Once you find a theme, you can find tons of ideas out there.

    ReplyDelete